Search by topic
Search by text
38-39 St Andrew’s Street, Arts Picturehouse, The Regal
History of 38-39 St Andrew's Street
The Regal opened in 1937 and was the largest cinema in Cambridge. It closed in 1997. However the site was acquired by Wetherspoons and the original restaurant converted back into a cinema.
1/10/1935: Cambridge Justices approved the plans of Associated British Cinemas for a new cinema to be erected in St Andrew’s Street. The site had been left derelict after fire burnt down a large part of the Castle Hotel in 1934. The application was opposed by the Theatre Cinema and the Rendezvous. There were nine cinemas in Cambridge with 6,300 seats and it would be impossible for them all to carry on if a super cinema like this were built. The Victoria was built four years ago, the Arts Theatre was completely new and the Rendezvous was having more seats and an organ. But the Cosmopolitan had closed and the Guildhall and Corn Exchange licences were rarely used. (Cam.News)
In the 1960s The Regal was the place for live music in Cambridge. You can read more about that time in A Decade of Gigs at The Regal.