Search by topic
Search by text
The Old Vicarage, Thompson’s Lane
History of the Old Vicarage, Thompson's Lane
For a summary of the very complex land ownership history of this site see the entry on the Synagogue Site. T E Faber, who lived at this address for many years, wrote a comprehensive and very detailed history of the parish of St Clement’s (An Intimate History of the Parish of St Clement’s 1250-1950 pub. 2006).
1932: Mrs Maude Gray sold this house to Henry Kittridge, confectioner. The Kittridges added a first floor bow window to their house; after the war Mrs Kittridge let the top floor as a flat known as the Green Door which deserves mention as the place where some of the secrets of the structure of DNA were unravelled y Francis Crick and James Watson.
1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge: has walls of plastered timber-framing and brick and tiled roofs. It was built in the 16th cent. and, despite minor changes in the 18th cent., retains much of its original form and character.
1913: St Clement’s Vicarage
Rev Edmund Gough de Salis Wood
1958: brick chimney stack reduced in height for safety reasons. Until 1958 there were still vestigial spikes on the ridge, intended to deter witches from landing on it (T E Faber).
Thomas E Faber
Hubert Montague-Pollock (the Green Door)