Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
70 Trumpington Street

70 Trumpington Street

History of 70 Trumpington Street

Listed Buildings

No. 70 Trumpington Street was built in the C15, remodelled and extended partly in the C17. The original form of these earlier structures is uncertain. It seems probable that the C17 structure replaced an earlier building, of which the C15 structure was a part, and is contemporary with the reconstruction of St Catharine’s College generally and the interior remodelling of the C15 bay. In the C19, a two-storey with attic range was added to the front of the two-bay, C17 building.

Remodelling during the C20 has occurred to both earlier builds to create accommodation for Fellows. The ground floor of the C17 build has been compromised particularly on the south elevation, where a substantial stone and brick external stair has been constructed leading to the student accommodation in the C19 building. The first, second and attic floors of the mid-C19 building have been remodelled to form student accommodation.

1913:

G P Jones, grocer and Italian warehouseman

F S Sheldrick

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.