Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Agnes Lewis and Margaret Gibson

Castle Brae, Chesterton Lane

History of Castle Brae, Chesterton Lane

1911:

Agnes Smith Lewis, head, widow, 68, b Scotland

Margaret Dunlop Gibson, twin sister, 68, widow, b Scotland

Frances Emma Hern, servant, 25, cook, b Gt Wilbraham

Emily Agnes Free, 35, parlourmaid, b Hildersham

Annie White, 22, housemaid, b Cambridge

John Mitchell, visitor, 36, presbyterian minister, b Scotland

Agnes Smith Lewis (1843–1926) and Margaret Dunlop Gibson (1843–1920), nées Agnes and Margaret Smith(sometimes referred to as the Westminster Sisters), were Semitic scholars. Born the twin daughters of John Smith of Irvine, Ayrshire, Scotland, they learned more than twelve languages between them, and became pioneers in their academic work, and benefactors to the Presbyterian Church of England, especially to Westminster College, Cambridge.

Agnes’s discovery of the Syriac Sinaiticus, on one of her many journeys to Sinai, was the most important manuscript find since that of the Codex Sinaiticus in 1859 and “the contribution the twins made in cataloguing the Arabic and Syriac manuscripts at Saint Catherine’s Monastery was literally incalculable.” (from Wikipedia)

………………………

1913:

Mrs Agnes Lewis DD, PhD, LLD

Mrs Margaret Gibson, DD, LLD

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.