Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Chesterton Lane looking west towards Northampton Street pre 1913

Chesterton Lane (South Side)

History of Chesterton Lane (South Side

Chesterton Lane looking west towards Northampton Street pre 1913

The photo looks west towards the junction with Castle Hill and Northampton Street. In the far ground can be seen William Collin, coal and coke merchant, builder’s merchant who occupied 1 Northampton Street in 1913.  The buildings in the foreground, the south side of Chesterton Lane, had all vanished by 1913, as part of the development of the Magdalene College site.

1911

1a:

Albert Painter, 71, cab proprietor, b Norfolk

Eliza, 68, b Norfolk

Percy, 27, single, butler, b Cambridge

Alfred, grandson, 18, hairdresser assistant,  b London

2:

James Crook, 41, cabdriver, b Cambridge

Emma Jane, 36, b Cambridge

Emily Mary, 14, b Cambridge

Charles, 6 wks, b Cambridge

3:

Steavin Mayes, 47, labourer, b Suffolk

Emilly, 45, b Suffolk

Ethel, 16, day girl, b Suffolk

Alfred, 14, errand boy, b Suffolk

William, 12, b Suffolk

Charley, 11, b Suffolk

4:

George Cornell, 67, widower, gardener, b Cherry Hinton

Alice Ann, 34, b Cambridge

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.