Dant’s Ferry
Cutter Ferry bridge / Pye Bridge / Dant’s Ferry, Cambridge
History of Cutler Ferry / Dant's Ferry
The following website on Cambridge history:
https://www.theedkins.co.uk/jo/walks/river2.htm#cutter
says that the family who ran the ferry at one time were called Dant and they had a boat called Cutter.
Information about the Dant family can be found here:
http://family.ray-jones.org.uk/rootspersona-tree/george-dant/
See also Enid Porter’s article: Boat Building
David Dant lived from 1808-1892. In 1891 David W Dant, waterman, was living in Trafalgar Street.
In 1881, Samuel Dant and his family’s address was River Ferry, Cutter Premises.
The photo above is Dant’s Ferry / Cutter Ferry with Emmanuel Boat House next to it. The 1901 OS map identified the two buildings.
Petition for a footbridge — 8 December 1904
Chesterton council considered a petition for the construction of a footbridge across the Cam between Victoria Bridge and Dant’s Ferry, subject to £200 being raised by private subscription towards the cost. But by asking for a subscription they would be setting a precedent and they would never be able to carry out public improvements without asking local occupiers to put their hands in their pockets to help them. It would be an advantage to those on the De Freville, but they all paid rates. The bridge would be an advantage, but not a pecuniary one. If it was placed at the Fort St George it would benefit a very large number of people and no ratepayer would object to a farthing rate for the project
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge Chesterton Road Area Scrapbook, reference 1904 12 08
Cyclists fined for riding on the footpath — 17 June 1907
Cyclists have continued to ride on the footpath leading from Dant’s Ferry to Cam Road, Chesterton, despite the notice prohibiting it. On 5th June PC Evans was on duty in the path and as a result a number of offenders were fined one shilling (05p). They included Powell Chandler, a clerk, James Huddlestone, a civil servant, William Heffer, a farmer and two auctioneers, Joseph Winship and Herbert T. Hockey. 07 06 17
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge Chesterton Road Area Scrapbook, reference 07 06 17
Difficulties carrying bicycles over the footbridge — 23 July 1927
There was a good deal of grousing before the inhabitants of Chesterton had a footbridge over the Cam at Dant’s Ferry. Now they have got one they have found something else to grouse about. At five minutes to eight every morning the instrument workers at Pye’s are hurrying to work from the other side of the river. They curse and groan, trip and stagger under the burden of carrying their bicycles up and down a steep double flight of steps. Sooner or later some panting person carrying a bicycle will fall backwards or pitch into the river. The bridge was not made for cyclists who should get up earlier and ride up Victoria Avenue. [CDN 23rd July 1927].
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge Chesterton Road Area Scrapbook, reference CDN 23rd July 1927
The bridge became known as the Pye Bridge because it provided the main route for workers at the Pye Factory.
Projects
Contribute
Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please
let us know using the Contact page or by
emailing capturingcambridge@
Licence
This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated by
.





