Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Chesterton
  • /
  • Milton Road
  • Back Forward
A decal featuring the gold-lettered name King and Harper Ltd above a red box reading The Scooter Specialists in Cambridge.

King and Harper logo

King and Harper Limited

History of King and Harper Ltd

A street scene showing a row of terraced houses and shops with petrol pumps on the pavement, and a car parked on Milton Road.

King and Harper, Milton Road pre WWII (with permission of King family)

One of the founders in 1900 of King and Harper, Henry Hori Harper, lived at 291 Hills Road during the 1920s and 30s. The 1929 Kelly’s Directory shows that King and Harper, automobile engineers and accessories dealers, had branches at 6 & 7 Bridge Street, Thompsons Lane, Milton Road and Hills Road. By 1961 it also dealt in electrical appliances and had 200 employees.

The first car in Cambridge had been owned by an undergraduate, the Hon. C S Rolls in 1897. It was a four seater Peugeot which had to be preceded by a man with a red flag. He then replaced it with a De Dion tricycle. When it broke down he got the help of King and Harper who repaired it. King and Harper then built their own tricycle which they converted to a four wheeler to allow passengers to be carried. It was exhibited at the 1902 Crystal palace Motor Show where it won a Gold Medal. (Vanishing Cambridge, Mike Petty p31)

Black and white view of the King and Harper building frontage with several tall petrol pumps and two men standing outside.

King and Harper, Milton Road (date unknown)

Black and white printed page showing a wide, single-story garage building with signs reading King and Harper Ltd.

King and Harper, Cam Magazine 1936

A printed advertisement for King and Harper, listing brands of cars, motorcycles, bicycles, and wireless sets available in 1937.

King and Harper Bridge Street, 1936 (Cam Magazine)

Film of King and Harper’s can be found on the East Anglian Film Archive.

1932 https://eafa.org.uk/work/?id=2067

1943 https://eafa.org.uk/work/?id=3379

1952 https://eafa.org.uk/work/?id=3378

The Cam Magazine, May 1937, contains an article about the history of the firm.

Projects

  • Milton Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Milton Road

Ely Villa, Hurst, Milton Road

The Hall Farm / Rectory Farm / Trinity Farm, Milton Road

82 (40) Milton Road, Donreath

Milton Road Schools

40 (19) Milton Road

Trinity Hall Farm, Milton Road

27 Milton Road

147 Milton Road

30 Milton Road, Fern Cottage

118 Milton Road, Whitehorn