In 1982 Sara Payne reported in the CWN (10th June) about the stones used to build 208 Victoria Road – pieces of 13th century sculpture. She quoted Miss Larke of Huntingdon Road: …. opinion that they came from Barnwell priory, the building of which began at the end of the 11th century, the first canons moving in in 1112…. what was left of the foundations [of Barnwell Priory] was dug up and the whole levelled and covered in 1812. …. In 1874 a certain James Wisbey moved from the Priory Brewery near the Abbey, between Parsonage Lane and Walnut Tree Lane in Newmarket Road, and appears as the inhabitant of the Eagle Brewery in Victoria Road which became Nos 212-214. The directory of 1884 lists Charles V Lawrence as running the Eagle Kennels and the Eagle Tavern
[James Wisbey] being a soul above that of ordinary mortals, was used to seeing fragments of the old priory lying about his premises in Newmarket Road. They had been there all his lifetime and long before that
So she suggests, he picked them up and carried them with him, and fixed them into his new brick wall at the Eagle Tavern.
George N Gates, house decorator
L Turner, motor car dealers
King Street Garage
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.