The Paddocks, Cherry Hinton Road
History of The Paddocks, Cherry Hinton Road
(Bullman’s Farm Cambridge Road)
It is possible that the Bullman’s farm listed in the 1891 census was at this location.
George Peachey, 56, general labourer, born Fulbourn
Jane, 50, born Linton
George, 21, general labourer, born Fulbourn
Alfred, 12, born Fulbourn
Emert Arthur, 10, born Fulbourn
James Doggett, 62, gardener domestic, born Chesterton
Sarah, 50, born Cambridge
Gladys Sarah, 10, born Cambridge
Amelia Parfitt, step daughter, 27, born Cambridge
Albert Sutcliffe, lodger, 25, kennel man, born Grantchester
Arthur James Precious enlisted in the Suffolk Regiment 12/8/1914 but discharged no longer fit on 5/7/1916. His file states that he ‘has never been fit. A debilitated nervous subject.’ He served in France 1915.
At the time of the Second World War, the Paddocks was the property of Charles James Mapey, whose company Cherry Hinton Granaries was based there. The Mapeys house, next to the site was bombed in 1941 but the family moved back in 1949. The site was sold in the late 1950s.