Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Cheveley
  • Back Forward
A row of single-story brick almshouses with tiled roofs, dormer windows, and tall chimneys behind a hedge and wooden fence.

Almshouses, Little Green (photo J H Bullock)(Cambridgeshire Collection)

Almshouses, Little Green, Cheveley

History of the Almshouses

A row of four cottages, evidently intended as almshouses, was built by Lord Dover  in 1692. But he failed to endow them and after his death they were taken over by the vestry and used as a parish poorhouse until 1835. They were then let to labourers whose refusal to pay rents led to their sale in 1864. (Vanishing Cambridgeshire, p.89)

Tags

  • Almshouse

Projects

  • Cheveley

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Cheveley

Queens’ College Almshouses, Silver Street

Countess of Hardwicke Almshouses, Ermine Way

94 (49) King Street, Jakenett Almshouses

Lodge to Garden House, Cheveley Park

Brook Stud Farmhouse, Cheveley

17 High Street, Chippenham

Deve House, 159 High Street, Cheveley

105 High Street, Cheveley

91 High Street, Cheveley

Cheveley Scrapbook

The Old Hall, 89 High Street, Cheveley

Greenways, 1 Little Green, Cheveley

Cheveley Park