Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Cheveley
  • Back Forward

Cheveley Park

History of Cheveley Park

Listed Building

Gate piers, and boundary wall to park, late C17.

Lodge, c.1900. Red brick, plain tile roof.


On 31st July 1942 a german Dornier 217 crashed at the top end of the Duchess Drive, among the trees at the edge of the road running by Cheveley Park. The crew had baled out and the Wood Ditton Home Guard was called in to help round them up. … Schoolgirl Joyce Burling had more luck than most of us and managed to talk one of the soldier guards into giving her a piece of the instrument panel, complete with instructions printed in German.

(R H Vincent, A Tanner will do)

Tags

  • Listed building
  • world war two

Projects

  • Cheveley

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Cheveley

171 Victoria Road, Bay Cottage, Cambridge

76 Storey’s Way

24 Ferry Path, Chesterton

Brook Stud Farmhouse, Cheveley

Primary School, Cheveley

7 Broad Green, Cheveley

137 High Street, Cheveley

Rayes House, (Village School), 103 High Street, Cheveley

Glebe House, 146 High Street, Cheveley

Lodge to Garden House, Cheveley Park

Cheveley Castle

Cheveley Wireless Depot

Cheveley Scrapbook