Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Ely
  • Back Forward
A tinted postcard shows a street in Ely with a large cathedral tower in the distance and figures walking past stone buildings.

The Porta, Ely (postmarked 1905)

The Porta, The Gallery, Ely

History of The Porta

Listed building

Ely Porta was begun in 1397 and was completed by Prior Poucher (140l-18). It comprises a large, rectangular, 5 storey block of rag-stone with Weldon (or similar) stone dressings. 4 square, castellated, corner turrets are carried above the parapet level. On the north and south ends there is the original castellated parapet and on the east and west fronts there is a later plain brick parapet. … on the ground storey on the north end of the west front which has a small single light window lighting what was the Bishop’s prison and, according to prison reports, was in use as such up to the end of the Cl7 when the prison was moved to Lynn Road

A stone rubble wall with a ridged stone capping extends from the south west corner of the Guest Quarters of the Monastery to the north west corner of Ely Porta and on the east side small gardens have been formed by stone rubble walls, with some brick, which extend from the gateway to the Guest Hall (Bishop’s residence) to the north east corner of Ely Porta.


An 1830 black and white line drawing showing the stone gateway and cathedral in Ely with figures on a path in the foreground.

Ely College gate, The Porta, Harraden 1830

A stone gatehouse with an arched entrance stands on the right, with the distant Ely Cathedral tower visible above the street.

The Porta, Ely c.1905


Then and now (David Gent) – The Gallery, Ely, view from the junction with Back Hill and Silver Street towards The Cathedral.

The building on the right, known as The Porta, is the original entrance to Ely Monastery. It originates from the 14th Century. Today The Porta is part of Kings School. Just one of many views in Ely that has remained unchanged for centuries.

First picture is a postcard posted in July 1905 to a Miss Gibson, 43 East Road, Cambridge. Second was taken a couple of weeks ago [Sep. 2022].

A street scene in Ely with a stone gatehouse on the right and red brick buildings on the left, leading toward a cathedral.

The Porta Ely 2022 (photo DG)

Then and Now

A tinted postcard shows a street in Ely with a large cathedral tower in the distance and figures walking past stone buildings.A street scene in Ely with a stone gatehouse on the right and red brick buildings on the left, leading toward a cathedral.
A stone gatehouse with two corner turrets, arched entranceways, and multiple small windows stands against a partly cloudy sky.

The Porta, Ely (RGL2025)

A street view with brick buildings flanking a road leading toward the stone tower of Ely Cathedral under a cloudy sky.

The Porta, Ely (RGL2025)

Tags

  • Listed building
  • medieval
  • Then and Now

Projects

  • Ely

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Ely

17 Main Street, Little Downham

Dales Barn, 5 Comberton Road, Barton

Old Cottage, Water Lane, Melbourn

Rising Sun Beer House, Prickwillow Road, Ely

7 Fore Hill, Ely

72 Broad Street, Ely

7 & 8, The Gallery, Ely

1 Market Place, Ely

48b & 50 Waterside, Ely

Archer House, 15 Market Place, Ely

51 & 53 Waterside, Ely

50 St Mary’s Street, Ely

9 – 13 Castlehythe, Station Road, Ely