Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Isleham
  • Back Forward

Margaret Peyton, 1484, Isleham

St Andrew, Isleham

History of St Andrew

Listed building:

Parish church of cruciform plan dedicated in 1331, replacing an earlier church on the site of which traces remain in the stone- work of the north east corner of the nave and in the C13 Y-tracery in the north chapel. Much of the internal appearance dates from C15 when the roofs of the nave and aisles and the clerestorey were built. The west tower was rebuilt in 1863 by G.E. Street replacing one that had collapsed and the walls were refaced in 1893. The church has a particularly fine clerestorey and roofs of 1495 and is noteworthy for its monuments and brasses to the Bernard and Peyton families.

Lych gate, much repaired and restored, but of late C15 or early C16 origin. (Historic England)

St Andrew, Isleham, engraving pre 1862 (Cambs Collection)

St Andrew Isleham after 1862 collapse of tower (Cambs Collection)

St Andrew, Isleham stood at the centre of village life for centuries, serving not only as a place of worship but also as a focal point for community identity, social gathering, and local memory. The church reflects the long continuity of rural settlement in the Fens and the importance of parish institutions in marking births, marriages, deaths, festivals, and moments of crisis. Its prominent position within the village landscape demonstrates how churches shaped both the physical appearance and social structure of fenland communities.

Fen and Marshland Villages by Anthony Day, p20, tells how Elizabeth Brown, hearing the collapse of the tower, came out to see how many workers had been injured. However, the workmen had just retreated to The Griffin after seeing a piece of masonry fall and the tower collapsed behind them and were saved.

A Houghton notes in Memories of Isleham Village, that there is a 15th cent. brass. There is also a table made of bog oak and a seven-branched candlestick – a gift from Jewish schoolboys who were billeted there in WWII.


St Andrew’s Church is one of the finest parish churches in eastern Cambridgeshire, reflecting the wealth and importance of Isleham as a thriving settlement on the edge of the Fens. Much of the present building dates from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, when the village prospered through agriculture and river trade. Its handsome Perpendicular tower, spacious nave and graceful clerestory create an impressive exterior, while the interior contains an exceptional collection of monuments, woodwork and medieval craftsmanship.

Among the church’s greatest treasures are the monuments of the Peyton family, one of the county’s most influential landed families. Their elaborate memorials, together with a remarkable series of restored medieval brasses, provide a vivid record of the people who shaped Isleham’s history over several centuries. The brasses are among the finest in Cambridgeshire, preserving detailed images of knights, ladies and clergy whose lives were closely connected with the parish.

Looking upwards, visitors are rewarded by the magnificent late medieval angel roof. Its beautifully carved figures, appearing to support the timber structure, are characteristic of the finest East Anglian churches and testify to the skill of fifteenth-century craftsmen. Elsewhere, the Jacobean altar rails and well-preserved medieval font illustrate the continuing development of the church after the Reformation, while sensitive Victorian restoration ensured that much of the building’s medieval character survived intact.

Although some nineteenth-century stained glass is less distinguished than the church’s medieval architecture, it does little to diminish the overall impression of richness and harmony. St Andrew’s remains a church of exceptional historical interest, where architecture, sculpture and memorials combine to tell the story of a prosperous Fenland community across more than seven hundred years. It is rightly regarded as one of Cambridgeshire’s outstanding parish churches.

Reference: based on the description of Isleham in Simon Jenkins, England’s Thousand Best Churches, with additional architectural and historical context.


Gate, Isleham Church (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

St Andrew, Isleham (RGL2025)

1949, B50 crash in Isleham

1949, B50 crash in Isleham

1949, B50 crash in Isleham

 

 

 

 

Sources

  • Book
  • Historic England

Tags

  • church
  • Jewish history
  • Listed building
  • medieval
  • refugees
  • world war two

Projects

  • Isleham

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Isleham

122 Avondale, 122 Bridge Street, Whaddon

Royal Oak Inn, 31 West Green, Barrington

Cranbrook House, High Street, Earith

The Cage, Church Street

Fifty Farm, Isleham Fen

Old Fire Station, Isleham

The Pits, Isleham

Swann (Swan) Inn, Waterside, Isleham

Post Office, 37 Mill Road, Isleham

The Rising Sun, Isleham

Croftville, Church Street, Isleham

Lime Kilns, Lime Stone Close, Isleham

Post Office, Church Street, Isleham