Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Littleport
  • Back Forward
Pont's Hill, Littleport 1911

Pont’s Hill, Littleport 1911

Gas Works & Fire Station, Gas House Green, Pont’s Hill, Littleport

History of the Gas Works

Littleport OS 1901

On the left of the picture are railings around Gas House Green. The Gas Works themselves are just out of site. They were built in 1867 on a site given by the Earl of Hardwicke. lord of the manor. The streets were first lit in 1885. The gas works closed in 1959.

In the centre of the photo is the shop of Cornelius Cawthorne.


1940s, Littleport Fire Engine

A steam fire engine was bought in 1869. It cost £540 and could fire 450 gallons of water per minute to a height of 200 feet. The Voluntary Fire Brigade had 12 members. The photo shows the engine in the 1940s after it had been converted to pneumatic tyres.

 

Projects

  • Littleport

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Littleport

70 – 72 Victoria Street, Littleport

14 Victoria Street, Littleport

17 Main Street, Littleport

7 Main Street, Littleport

22 Victoria Street, Littleport

7 Station Road, The Fountain, Littleport

Hope Brothers’ factory, White Hart Lane (Factory Lane), Littleport

Littleport Bridge

2 Granby Street, Littleport

4 Victoria Street, Littleport