Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Littleport
  • Back Forward
A crowded barge with a flag sits on a river near a bridge, while onlookers gather on the banks and in smaller rowboats.

Sandhill Bridge, Littleport, 1906 (Cambs Collection)

Sandhill Bridge, Littleport

History of Sandhill Bridge

According to Anthony Day in Fen and Marshland villages:

Sandhill Bridge over the Ouse at Littleport was originally a wooden structure names, most likely, after Sir Miles Sandys who was Lord of the Manor here in the 17th century. The wooden bridge was replced by thi iron one in 1890 where in August 1903 the first Littleport water sports drew a large crowd.

Projects

  • Littleport

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Littleport
audio

Fred and George Goulty

8 Globe Lane, Littleport

National School, Wisbech Road, Littleport

Willow Row Farm, Littleport

High Street, Littleport

14b Station Road, Littleport

14 Wellington Street, Littleport

47 – 55 Victoria Street, Littleport

23 Main Street, Littleport

8 City Road, Littleport