Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Littleport
  • Back Forward
A road leads over a white-railed bridge toward a light-colored building, with three figures standing near the bridge railings.

Sandhill bridge, Littleport c.1890

Sandhill Bridge, Victoria Street, Littleport

History of Sandhill Bridge

Sir Miles Sandys was lord of the manor 1622 – 1644.He began construction of a river channel from Littleport to Ely in 1630 but it was abandoned because of the cost. A new river was finally cut in 1829. The old wooden bridge was probably erected at that time.

1901 Ordnance Survey map detail showing Sandhill Bridge, the Black Horse public house, and adjacent road and building plots.

Sandhill Bridge, Littleport OS 1901

A large, dense crowd of men in flat caps and women in a variety of wide-brimmed hats and bonnets viewed from a high angle.

Water Sports, Littleport, 1910

Projects

  • Littleport

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Littleport

5 Main Street, Littleport

City Road, Littleport

High Street, Littleport

8 City Road, Littleport

Littleport Data

Audley House, Littleport

9 Coronation Terrace, Littleport

Crouchmoor Farm, Littleport

Parson’s Lane, Littleport

Town Hall, Granby Street, Littleport