Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Soham
  • Back Forward
A two-storey Victorian brick school building with gabled roofs and tall chimneys sits behind a low metal railing and gate.

Shade School Soham

The Shade School, Soham

History of the Shade School

A black and white 1901 Ordnance Survey map detail showing property boundaries, building footprints, and parcel numbers in Soham.

Soham OS 1901

The Shade School was opened in 1875 as the Soham Board Boys School.  Headmaster was Joseph Farrow.

1906 name changed to Soham Boys and Infants County School. Head G F Fenton.

1926 Mr P W ‘Pop’ Lovering

1958 Soham County Mixed Junior School

1990 school closed

The school house survives

Tags

  • school

Projects

  • Soham

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Soham

National School, Grantchester

School and School House, Papworth St Agnes

Kneesworth House School, Old North Road

23 Sand Street, Soham

14 – 16 High Street, Soham

2 Clay Street, Soham

13 Pratt Street, Soham

21 – 23 High Street, Soham

2 Sand Street, Soham

The Hall, Sand Street, Soham

5 Churchgate Street, Soham

42 High Street, Soham

Anglican Chapel, Fordham Road, Soham