Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Soham
  • Back Forward
A detail from a 1901 Ordnance Survey map showing The Place in Soham, including labels for St Andrew's Church and graves.

Soham OS 1901

The Place, Soham

History of the Place

A single-story stone pavilion with a central arched entrance sits on a grassy field, with people and a bicycle in front.

The Pavilion, Recreation Ground, Soham 1935

The grounds of the place were used for garden parties:

1925 ceased to be private residence and sold with 11 acres by auction.

1928 house bought by council and pavilion and recreation ground created in 1929.


A second tennis court was added after WWII by Mr and Mrs E R Ennion in memory of their son, Captain T R E Ennion, who was killed in action with the Cambridgeshire Regiment at Singpore in 1942.


Annual Pumpkin Fair is held here

Tags

  • world war two

Projects

  • Soham

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Soham

21 Leys Avenue

documents

Guildhall (Town Hall and Jew’s House), Cambridge

Cambridge Industrial School, Harvey Goodwin Home for Waifs and Strays

St Andrew, High Street, Soham

Soham Data

19 High Street, Soham

37 High Street, Soham

Baptist Chapel, Soham

A R Covell’s Fancy Bazaar and Confectioners, High Street, Soham

Alton House, 12 Sand Street, Soham

18 High Street, Soham

Mereside, Soham

Fairfield Lodge, Townsend, Soham