Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Fenland
  • /
  • Parson Drove
  • Back Forward
Two large structures with tall, steeply pitched thatched roofs stand behind a simple wooden shed in a field of low vegetation.

Woad Mill, Parson Drove c.1900 (photo J Palmer Clarke) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Woad Mill, Parson Drove

History of the Woad Mill

Black and white 1900 Ordnance Survey map section showing Woad Mills, Woadmill Farm, and nearby plots near a Wisbech road.

Woad Mill, Parson Drove OS 1900

An article about the woad mill appeared in the Daily Mail in 1900, (quoted in Vanishing Cambridgeshire p.153).

The atmosphere of this little pile of primitive and weather-beaten buildings suggests something distinctly apart from modern agriculture; and indeed, it might well do so. For the place is the only woad mill in the country where the woad is pulped and prepared for the dyers in the the fashions of centuries ago. At parson Drove the power employed is that of the plodding horse. During recent seasons ten acres of woad have been sufficient to keep the Parson Drove mill working at a profit.

Prof R Biffen noted: the conically thatched building at he end contains the mill proper; the low building in the centre in the ‘couching house’ where the fermentation process is carried on. The low walls built of turf and the thick thatch tend to keep the temperature more or less constant. In the foreground are the remains of a ‘drying range.’

Two large wooden, spoked crushing rollers sit inside a rustic shed alongside agricultural machinery with metal wheels.

Woad Cutters, Woad Mill, Parson Drove (photo J Palmer Clarke) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

A person sits by a sheaf of harvested stalks in a field featuring low sheds and a large, conical, thatched-roof structure.

Harvesting woad at parson Mill, c.1880

The first harvest was made in June and the leaves crushed in the mill and the pulp made into balls. These were left to dry and then mixed with water and left to ferment in darkness for 20-30 days.

Two men in flat caps stand on either side of a large wooden barrel, each holding a dark, round object on a flat wooden board.

Balling woad at Parson Drove c.1890

The mill at Parson Drove closed in 1914.

‘Woad in the Fens’ by Norman T Wills (1979) contains the transcription of an interview with Arthur Jarvis, the Last Waddie of Parson Grove, made in September 1969 when he was 90 years old.

Tags

  • mill

Projects

  • Parson Drove

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Parson Drove

Spillers / Fosters Mills

Hook’s Mill, Potton Road, Guilden Morden

Duxford Mill

Parson Drove Lock Up (cage)

The Church of Emmanual, Parson Drove

Inham Hall, Parson Drove

The Chestnuts, Parson Drove

Throckenholt, Parson Drove

Parson Drove data

Rookery Farm, Parson Drove

Sycamore House, Parson Drove

The Hollies, Parson Drove

The Nurseries, Parson Drove