Search by topic
Search by text
Clarkson's Memorial & Post Office, Wisbech
Clarkson’s Memorial, Wisbech
History of Clarkson's Memorial
The Clarkson Memorial in Wisbech, Isle of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England commemorates Thomas Clarkson (1760 – 1846), a central figure in the campaign against the slave trade in the British empire, and a former native of Wisbech. It dates from 1880 – 1881 and is a Grade II* listed building.
The memorial consists of a statue mounted on a platform. Above this, rises a canopy, in the form of a spire. The whole structure is 68 feet (20.6 m) high. On three of the four sides are carved bas-reliefs, representing William Wilberforce and Granville Sharp, both prominent figures in the campaign against the slave trade, and a manacled slave in a beseeching attitude. The fourth side bears an inscription to the memory of Clarkson.