Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Fenland
  • /
  • Wisbech
  • Back Forward

The Anchor, 8 Nene Quay, Wisbech

History of the Anchor

Listed Building

Early C19 inn. Local, red-brown brick, hipped slate roof.


1792 Charles Bradley landlord

1845 Samuel Rhodes landlord, Bishop of Bangor owner

1863 George Walker

1865 trouble at inn reported by mayor

1866 John Wilson, licensee. He was leader of the orchestra at the Douglas Theatre.

George Richar

Henry Simpson

William Jacob Ward

John Hales

A lagg

1921 closed under Compensation Act

Anchor Chambers and Coal Merchants Office

(source: The Inns and Taverns of Wisbech – a survey from the earliest times to 1950 by Arthur Artis Oldham, 1993)

Tags

  • Listed building
  • Public House

Projects

  • Wisbech

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Wisbech

29 Market Place, Wisbech

Slepe House, Cromwell Terrace, St Ives

Burghley House, Barnack

Barton Lodge, Bird in Hand, 60 North Brink, Wisbech

Boundary stone, Walsoken, Wisbech

10 Market Place, Wisbech

George, Golden Lion, Market Mews, Wisbech

31 Market Place, Wisbech

The King’s Head, Old Market, Wisbech

32 Market Place, Wisbech

Barton House, Wisbech

4 Clarkson Avenue, Wisbech

8 & 9 North Brink, Wisbech