Search by topic
Search by text
Chapel of Ease, Octagon Church, Wisbech
The Chapel of Ease, Octagon Church, Wisbech
History of the Chapel of Ease
This church opened as a chapel of ease to the parish church in 1831. It closed in 1946 and was demolished in 1952.
From British History Online:
The OCTAGON CHURCH is a brick building, faced with stone and embattled. It was erected under an Act of Parliament of 1827 as a chapel of ease to the parish church, and consists of chancel, octagonal nave, porch at the south side and a turret containing one bell. The building was designed by William Swansborough in imitation of the Octagon of Ely Cathedral, but the lantern became unsafe owing to defective foundations, and was replaced in 1846 by a battlement with pinnacles.