Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Earith
  • Back Forward
A multi-arched brick bridge spans a waterway, with two boys standing in the foreground on the bank of the water.

Seven Holes bridge, Earith. Photo c.1930 D G Reid

Seven Holes Bridge, Earith

History of the Seven Holes Bridge

1888 Ordnance Survey map section detailing Earith, showing Seven Holes Bridge, Earith Bridge, and Hermitage Sluice Bridge.

Earith bridges OS 1888

A black and white postcard showing a long stone bridge with seven arched openings spanning a river, set in a grassy landscape.

Seven Holes Bridge Earith

The Seven Holes Bridge replaced a nine hole bridge that was probably first built in the 1630s.

Mike Petty notes in Fenland History:

A causeway linked Haddenham with Earith, where the two Bedford Rivers join the Great Ouse.

A Seven Holes Bridge was constructed across the Old Bedford River in 1824 but the fence on the top of the parapet was constructed at the expense of Mr Tom Benton of Earith. A spirited horse that he was driving in a light cart shied at the bridge and jumped the parapet, taking the cart with it. There happened to be a boat moored nearby from which he was saved from drowning.

As a result of the accident Mr Benton paid for the rails to be erected and caused a boat to be permanently moored there as long as he lived. [C.F. Tebbutt. Bluntisham-cum-Earith. 1941]

The straight, narrow channel of the Old Bedford River flows between grassy banks with concrete edges under a blue sky.

Old Bedford River at Earith (RGL2025)

A narrow, straight river flows through a grassy, tree-lined landscape with a well-trodden path running along the left bank.

Old Bedford River at Earith (RGL2025)

A wide concrete bridge spans a canal with dark water, flanked by grassy banks with trees and vehicles parked on the road deck.

Old Bedford River at Earith (RGL2025)

A grassy embankment runs alongside a straight river under a blue sky with wispy clouds and trees lining the far bank.

Old Bedford River at Earith (RGL2025)

A white metal railing separates a road from the Earith Sluice, featuring a prominent safety sign and river machinery behind.

Old Bedford River at Earith (RGL2025)

Sources

  • Book
  • Huntingdon Archives
  • Ordnance Survey

Tags

  • bridge

Projects

  • Earith

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Earith

Garret Hostel Bridge

Stretham Ferry Bridge

Earith suspension bridge

27 High Street, Earith

7 Bridge End, Earith

9 Bridge End, Earith

Riverside, 54 High Street

77a High Street, Earith

The Crown, Earith

Pumping station, near Earith lock on Old West River (Great Ouse)

Chapel Road (Back Lane) (Back Street), Earith

91 High Street, Melvoir Hall, Earith

75 High Street, Earith