15th century bridge crossing the River Ouse. Royal Archaeological Institute 1967 p.13 notes that the first bridge over the Ouse at St Ives was built about 1110. It was rebuilt in stone between 1415 and 1426. Four original northern arches are pointed, but two semi-circular southern ones were rebuilt in 1711. During the Civil Wars the southernmost arch was taken down and a drawbridge substituted.
The two storeyed Chapel of St Leodgar (Ledger) was consecrated in 1526. It was turned into an Inn in 1736 when two additional floors were added in red brick. These changes were removed in restoration in 1930.
For more information:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.