Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Holywell cum Needingworth
  • Back Forward
Watercolor painting showing a church and cottages nestled behind fields beside a calm river under a cloudy, expansive sky.

Holywell church, William Fraser Garden (1856-1921)

St John the Baptist, Holywell

History of St John the Baptist

Listed Building

Parish Church. Nave, chancel and north aisle C13, south aisle circa 1300. West tower added in 1547 by the mason Thomas Roper. South porch dates from the 1862 restoration. Tower restored in 1915, vestry rebuilt in 1919

Ancient well, fed by a natural spring. Covered by a semi-circular brick shelter with an elliptical arched opening facing east, capped by a C13 or C14 stone corbel and stone plaque with the inscription ‘Rev S B Beckwith Rector of this Parish AD 1845’. 


According to The Holywell Story by John Newell, 1991:

It is thought that the name arose in Roman times, from use of the water for sacred purposes – it really is a spring and not a ‘well’ at all. … According to the legend the well owes it’s reputed sanctity to the seventh century Persian Bishop Ivo who was buried at St Ives and whose remains were transferred to Ramsey Abbey about 1000 AD. His bones, and wells and springs connected with his name were credited with healing properties. As recently as 1933 a woman was seen sitting with her feet in the water to cure a foot complaint. People often came to bathe for such complaints as sore eyes. In 1934 a boy was reported to have been healed of a sore on his forehead after bathing it with water from the well.

There was a church well established at Holywell in 969 … the name of only one incumbent has survived, Gode, who flourished about 990.

In the Domesday Survey it is recorded that ‘In Haliewell the Abbot of Ramsey has 9 Hides (1080 acres) which paid Geld (Landtax)  … here is a Church and a Priest and 3 acres of meadow. There is wood for pannage approximately one and quarter miles by one mile in area.’


A stone church with a tall tower and a long tiled roof sits behind a metal fence on a grassy bank under a cloudy sky.

St John the Baptist, Holywell (RGL2025)

The interior of a church with white walls, a dark timber roof, stone arches, wooden pews, and a central rood screen.

St John the Baptist, Holywell (RGL2025)


The Holywell Story by Joe Newell has a chapter devoted to the life of Victor Carter. He was interviewed and recalled many events in his life including the burning of the town pump on St Ives Market Hill during the Relief of Mafeking celebrations.

Vic was born in 1887; his father was coachman and groom at the rectory for Rev Hoskyns. His Uncle Bill operated the ferry, charging 1d per passenger. At 8 Victor became a member of the church choir and took music lesson s in St Ives with Mr Tyrell in East Street. Later he studied organ with Mr Halton of Earith, organist at St Ives. When he was nineteen he was appointed organist at Holywell church. For the most of the rest of his life he played organs in the area at Holywell, Fenstanton, Bluntisham, Wilburton and Somersham.

In 1914 he was working at Fullers coach-building works in St Ives. He volunteered in 1915 joining the Hunts Cyclists; after training he became a sniper. In 1917 be became a runner; at Passchendaele he was wounded in the thigh.

He official retirement as organist took place in Holywell in 1970.

1891 Front Street

George Carter, 34, groom, b Holywell

Elizabeth, 34, b Houghton

George, 8, b Holywell

Beatrice, 9, b Holywell

Victor, 3, b Holywell

Harold, 1, b Holywell


1939 High Street

Victor Carter, b 1887, egg collector and poultry food distributor

Susan A, b 1892,

Joan Harridge, b 1928, at school [?evacuee]

?


A dark wooden carving of a crowned, standing figure in long, draped robes, with one hand raised and fingers extended.

St John the Baptist, Holywell (RGL2025)

A carved, painted wooden Green Man bracket showing a face emerging from foliage, featuring wide eyes and an open, bared mouth.

St John the Baptist, Holywell (RGL2025)

A dark wooden statue of a crowned figure in robes, with one hand raised and the other at the chest, set against stone arches.

St John the Baptist, Holywell (RGL2025)

A tall, triple-light stained glass window featuring three crowned religious figures standing beneath decorative stone arches.

St John the Baptist, Holywell (RGL2025)

A white stone Gothic-style arched niche is set into a wall, with a box of masks and books resting on its ledge below.

St John the Baptist, Holywell (RGL2025)

An arched stone opening in a white wall features a slender stone pillar with a bright red painted capital under a dark roof.

St John the Baptist Holywell (RGL2025)

A document listing the rectors of the Parish of St. John the Baptist in Holywell-cum-Needingworth from 990 to 1980.

St John the Baptist, Holywell (RGL2025)

A weathered stone church tower with battlements rises above a graveyard, framed on the left by the leaves of a large tree.

St John the Baptist, Holywell (RGL2025)

Weathered stone headstones stand in a churchyard beside a light-colored stone church wall with dark trees in the background.

St John the Baptist Holywell (RGL2025)

Numerous weathered, lichen-spotted stone headstones arranged in a cemetery, with a tall stone cross visible on the right.

St John the Baptist Holywell (RGL2025)

Watercolor painting of a flooded landscape with a small boat moored by a bank, a church tower, and trees in the distance.

Manor farm and Holywell Parish Church by Arthur Anderson Fraser

A printed document about Britain's holiest places features text about Holywell and a small, grainy black-and-white photograph.

St John the Baptist, Holywell (RGL2025)

A stone structure with a metal-grille door sits beside a flagged path, looking over a garden with a bench and grassy field.

The well at Holywell (RGL2025)

A small, peaked brick structure with an arched entrance covered by a metal gate stands on a stone-paved path by a brick wall.

The well at Holywell (RGL2025)

A metal plaque fixed to rough, weathered stone, inscribed ERECTED BY THE REV'D S.B. BECKWITH RECTOR OF THIS PARISH A.D. 1845.

The well at Holywell (RGL2025)

A signpost for the Ouse Valley Way stands beside a metal kissing gate at the edge of a green field under a cloudy sky.

Footpath from Holywell to St Ives (RGL2025)

A narrow, worn footpath curves through a grassy field toward trees and a distant church spire under a pale, overcast sky.

Footpath from Holywell to St Ives (RGL2025)

Tags

  • church
  • Listed building
  • medieval
  • oral history

Projects

  • Holywell cum Needingworth

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Holywell cum Needingworth

16 & 18 High Street, Orwell

Post Office Cottages, Dry Drayton

57 High Street, The Cedars, Melbourn

The Brewery, Church Street, Needingworth

55 High Street, Needingworth

War Memorial & Lock Up, High Street, Needingworth

Institute, Church Street, Needingworth

Court Farmhouse, Silver Lane, Needingworth

Reed Cottage, High Street, Holywell cum Needingworth

Wildcroft, The Front, Holywell

51 & 53 High Street, Needingworth

Cob Loaves, High Street, Needingworth

Bakers Dozen, 18 Church Street, Needingworth