Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • St Ives
  • Back Forward
A two-story brick chapel with a pedimented roof and arched windows stands behind a low brick wall and iron railings in 1904.

Methodist Chapel, St Ives 1904 prior to demolition (HuntsRO)

Methodist chapel, The Waits, St Ives

History of methodist chapel

The first methodist chapel had been in West Street. In 1815 it was replaced by the chapel in the picture which itself was demolished in 1904.

There is a tradition that John Wesley preached on The Waits very near the location of the chap[el when he visited in 1774. Wesley described the St Ives audience as ‘very well dressed, and yet well behaved.’

The brick facade of a church features a central arched window, two turrets at the corners, and a street lamp on the right.

St Ives Methodist chapel, 1905 (Norris Mus)

The facade of the new chapel was made of Snettisham Car Stone.

The stone facade of a brown-brick chapel features arched stained-glass windows, decorative stone pinnacles, and front steps.

Methodist Chapel, The Waits, St Ives (RGL2025)

Tags

  • chapel

Projects

  • St Ives

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

St Ives

Baptist Chapel, Ermine Street, Caxton

3a & 5, Blackhorse Lane, Swavesey

The Baptist Chapel, Isleham Fen

9 Merryland, St Ives

North Road, St Ives

1 The Broadway, St Ives

14 Bridge Street, St Ives

12 Bridge Street, St Ives

21 Bridge Street, St Ives

Corn Mills, Enderby’s Mill, St Ives

7 The Pavement, St Ives

5 & 5a Market Hill, Fountain Commercial Hotel, St Ives

Cromwell’s barn, St Ives