Search by topic
Search by text
Mill Road junction with Willis Road
8 Mill Road
History of 8 Mill Road
G A Lofts, 34, master tailor, b Cambridge
Freeman Hardy and Willis, bootmakers, Ernest McDonald manager
Arthur Henry Chapman
c.1930s – 1960:
The flat above Freeman Hardy Willis at number 8 Mill Road was occupied by Reuben Leonard Slingsby & his wife Emmie from sometime between the wars until shortly before Emmie’s death in 1963 (she was in a nursing home at the time of her death & its not certain at what point she moved there). Reuben died in 1952.
Reuben ran R Slingsby Ltd builders which operated from offices and a yard in Covent Garden.
The business was founded by his father (also called Reuben) in 1890 and who was living at the time at 23 Cross Street – having moved there from 37 Covent Garden. It sadly folded just after its centenary in 1992.
Reuben Leonard Slingsby‘s younger brother Frederick – born in Cambridge – was a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps in WW1. After the war he founded Slingsby Sailplanes a glider maker at Kirbymoorside in North Yorkshire. This business grew and evolved over the years at the same site and is still involved in aviation technology. It is now owned by Marshall’s of Cambridge
Mrs R Sutcliffe
Light Blue Finance
Cambridge Credit facilities