Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Mill Road Area Cambridge
  • /
  • Mill Road
  • Back Forward

94 Mill Road, Cambridge

History of 94 Mill Road

1901

William Thomas Naylor, 54, fruiterer, b Sandy Beds

Sarah, 52, b Abington Piggotts

Henry C E, 20, fruiterer’s assistant, b Guilden Morden

Mary, 18, b Guilden Morden

Hubert, 14, b Guilden Morden

Richard T Thurley, 42, brother in law, gardener, b Abington Piggotts


1911


1913

W T Naylor, fruiterer greengrocer and confectioner

1937

Hubert Naylor, greengrocer

1962

Hubert Naylor

1970

W H and E M Naylor, fruiterers

Hubert Naylor


1982

W T Naylor, greengrocer


28 September 1984

Naylors, one of Cambridge’s oldest greengrocers, closed after trading in Mill Road since January 1900. The business had been founded by William Thomas Naylor, formerly of Guilden Morden, and later expanded to additional shops in Norfolk Street. The article recalled that Mill Road once served many prosperous households, whereas by the 1980s much of the trade came from students. It also noted how the range of produce had changed, with kiwi fruit, courgettes and aubergines becoming commonplace.

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Projects

  • Mill Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Mill Road

178 Mill Road

documents

Infectious Diseases Hospital/ The Vineries / Isolation Hospital / Brookfields Hospital, Cambridge

302 Mill Road

23 Mill Road, Laurel Villa

27 Mill Road

123 – 131 Mill Road

234 Mill Road

155 Mill Road / 1 Geldart Terrace

398 Mill Road

68 (34 & 36) (17 & 18 & 19) Mill Road, Cambridge