Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Mill Road Area Cambridge
  • /
  • Mill Road
  • Back Forward
A middle-aged woman wearing a gingham pinafore stands in front of shelving units packed with small boxes and labeled hardware.

Courtesy of Ann Horn

94a Mill Road, Gee’s, Cambridge

Mrs Gee has owned and worked in the electrical shop at 94a Mill Road since the 1940s.

1901 (94)

William Shanks [?], 65, builders foreman, b Bluntisham

Clarissa M, 50, [?]

Maud A, 29, ?? manager, b Ickleton

Mabel C, 23, shop assistant, b Saffron Waldon

Fred J Whittine, 24, building clerk, [?]


1913 (94a)

L Benstead, bootmaker


1937 (94a)

William John Wells, boot repairer


1962

H Gee, radio engineer

In the 1950s Harold and Priscilla were living at St Brelades, 322 Histon Road. They were Jewish and had come from Germany in the 1930s. They adopt the name Gee but this appears to be for business purposes as they continued to register for elections under their name Goldstein.


We spent the afternoon with Mrs Gee collecting some of her fantastic memories of time gone by.

HOT WATER

Mrs Gee shares memories of the Bath House.

Red brick building with stone accents, a central red door, and a street sign reading Gwydir Street on a corner in Cambridge.

https://cms.capturingcambridge.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/GEE_bath.mp3

A feeling of friendship

Mrs Gee’s thoughts on Mill Road.

Crowded shelves packed with lightbulbs, boxed electrical goods, and small hardware parts fill this cluttered shop interior.

https://cms.capturingcambridge.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/GEE_goodlife.mp3

The greatest honour!

Mrs Gee remembers opening Mill Road Winter Fair.

A woman wearing a mayoral chain and fur hat stands centered before a crowd, flanked by two people in large, festive costumes.

https://cms.capturingcambridge.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/GEE_mrwf.mp3

 

Sources

  • 1901 census
  • Kellys Directory
  • Photographs
  • Sound Recording

Tags

  • audio
  • Building of Local Interest
  • Jewish history
  • oral history

Projects

  • Mill Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Mill Road

Evacuees and Refugees in Cambridgeshire

High Flyer Hall, New Barns, Little Barns Farm, Ely

3 Claremont, Hills Road

documents

Mill Road Bridge, Cambridge

32 Mill Road, Taybank

294 Mill Road

168 Mill Road

96 Mill Road

318 Mill Road

284 Mill Road

264 Mill Road

350 Mill Road

171 Mill Road