Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Mill Road Area Cambridge
  • /
  • Mill Road
  • Back Forward
Black and white newspaper clipping showing a church building with a spire and adjacent houses on a street with a horse-drawn cart.

St Philip’s Church Cambridge, circa 1900

St Philip’s Church, Mill Road, Cambridge

History of St Philip's Mill Road

St Philip’s was built by E Loftus Brock in 1902. Extensive alterations were carried out 2011-12 by Archangel.

A brick St Philip's Church building with a pointed spire, set back from a street with a large tree in front on the right.

St Philip’s Church

Notes on the history of the church can be found on their website:

http://www.stphilipschurch.org.uk/church-history/

A black-and-white view of Mill Road showing St Philip’s Church beside commercial brick buildings with a pub sign for ale.

St Philip’s church, Mill Road (Camb Collection)

Cambridge St Philip’s War Memorial

The church houses a Roll of Honour for those that died in the First World War.

Then and Now

Black and white newspaper clipping showing a church building with a spire and adjacent houses on a street with a horse-drawn cart.St Philip's Church on Mill Road, a brick building with a pointed tower, sits beside a white building on a cloudy day.

 


27 October 1898
An article reviewing the rapid growth of Romsey Town explained that the replacement of the old level crossing by the Great Eastern Railway’s Mill Road Bridge had transformed development in the district. As housing expanded, St Philip’s Church, originally established as a chapel-of-ease, became the focus of the growing community, and it was argued that the time had come for Romsey Town to become a separate ecclesiastical parish with St Philip’s as its parish church. Source: Mike Petty, Cambridge Mill Road Scrapbook 1897–1990.

12 June 1902
St Philip’s Church was formally consecrated by the Bishop. The article recalled that the foundation stone had been laid on 13 June 1889 by Professor Babington and that the present church had replaced a small wooden chapel erected by an enthusiastic churchman. It noted that the church served the rapidly expanding population of Romsey Town and anticipated that the district would soon become an independent ecclesiastical parish. Source: Mike Petty, Cambridge Mill Road Scrapbook 1897–1990.

26 April 1912
Concern was expressed about the lack of recreational space for children in Romsey Town. Residents complained that children were being prosecuted for playing in Ross Street and St Philip’s Road, and urged the purchase of land between the Council School and Mill Road as a permanent recreation ground for the district served by St Philip’s Church. Source: Mike Petty, Cambridge Mill Road Scrapbook 1897–1990.

28 March 1917
St Philip’s Church hosted the wedding of Private J. J. Caffrey VC, one of Britain’s most celebrated First World War heroes, to Florence Avey of Great Eastern Street. The report recounted Caffrey’s extraordinary bravery as a stretcher-bearer in rescuing wounded comrades under heavy fire, for which he had received both the Victoria Cross and the Russian Cross of St George. The ceremony attracted a large congregation and became one of the church’s most notable wartime events.

 

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • Building of Local Interest
  • church
  • Church of England
  • Then and Now
  • world war one

Projects

  • Mill Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Mill Road

156 Mill Road, Gloucester Cottage

182 Histon Road

Rose Crescent (Waterloo Place)

271 Mill Road, Cambridge

Mill Road Bowling Alley, Cambridge

58 (24) (12) Mill Road

284 Mill Road

71 Mill Road (29) (4 Pulling Terrace)

202 Mill Road, Amos House

194 Mill Road

316 Mill Road

The Cam Foundry, 349 Mill Road, Cambridge

95 (53) Mill Road, Camford House