Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Museum of Cambridge
  • /
  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Back Forward
A vintage theatre poster from 1797 details performances of A Cure for the Heart-Ache and The Magician at Theatre, Stirbitch.

1797 Stirbitch Theatre poster © Museum of Cambridge

331 Newmarket Road, Shakespeare Cottages, Stirbitch Theatre

History of 331 Newmarket Road

Shakespeare Cottages (nos 331-315) were built on the site of a timber building that was used as a theatre during the time of Stourbridge Fair. This theatre was set up at the end of the 18th century by a company of actors from Norwich. After a false fire alarm resulted in the death of four people in 1802, this theatre was pulled down in 1806 and a new one was built next to the Sun Inn.

See Enid Porter’s article:

Theatres

1913

George Smith

1962 –

Projects

  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Newmarket Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Museum Exhibit Stories
documents

9 King’s Parade, (Trumpington Street),The Still and Sugar Loaf

The Eagle Foundry, Mill Road

High Street, Melbourn

77 Hinton Avenue (formerly 2), Cambridge

What’s in a toilet? – The Volcania washdown-closet

Clare College (University Hall), Cambridge

25 Madingley Road, Northampton Street, Merton Arms

48 Blinco Grove

Mystery of 6 foot gun

Rampton vagrancy sign