Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Newnham & Selwyn Colleges from the air circa 1910

Newnham College

History of Newnham College Cambridge

General information about Newnham College can be found on Wikipedia.

Of particular interest are The Clough Gates. Anne Jemima Clough is commemorated in these bronze gates. It was she who was invited by Henry Sidgwick in 1871 to take charge of a house in town for a group of young women who attended his lectures. Four years later this group settled at Newnham Hall, now Old Hall, and Newnham College was founded.

Tour of the Gardens

Alice Grace Jenny Bragg, ‘Lady Bragg’, wife of Nobel prize winner Sir Lawrence Bragg, went to Newnham College in 1918 to study history. Her time there is described in a diary in ‘Crystal Clear’ p301f. It was while an undergraduate she met Lawrence Bragg.


Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing