Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Newnham Cambridge
  • /
  • Newnham Road
  • Back Forward
The Jolly Millers pub with wooden siding, tile roof, and dormer windows, with three men standing in front of the entrance.

The Jolly Millers, Newnham Road c.1890 (MoC406/56)

31 Newnham Road, The (Three) Jolly Millers

History of 31 Newnham Road

The Jolly Millers stands on the site of the Newnham miller’s house. It is recorded that on 5th August 1564, Queen Elizabeth arrived from spending the night in Haslingfield at the house of one of her gentleman pensioners, at the mill. An eye witness account said, ‘And there being requested to change her horse, she alighted and went into the miller’s yard and house for a short space.’ On emerging she mounted the fresh horse, and the Mayor still ‘riding with the Mace before her Majestie’, rode into Cambridge. (A House By The River, M E Keynes)

Oil painting showing a riverside path with low-slung cottages, stone steps, and figures standing by a fence under a cloudy sky.

The Jolly Millers, painting by Robert Farren

For information about Robert Farren see 110 Hills Road

Watercolor painting showing a riverside cottage with a smoking chimney, framed by trees, with small figures near the water.

Three Jolly Millers Newnham (MoC12:147:51)


1830 Wm. Bennison (Pigot’s Directory)

1839 William Bennison (Pigot’s)

1851 Susan Bennison (Gardner’s)

1852 William Bennison (Slaters)

1869 James Musk (Post Office Directory)

1879 Edward Musk (Kellys)


1881

Edward Musk, wheelwright, 35, b Cambridge
Sarah A, 35, b Bourne
Henry J, 9, b Cambridge
Edd John, 8,  b Cambridge
Catherine Edith, 7, b Cambridge
Caroline L , 6 months, b Cambridge


1883 Edward Musk (Kellys)

1888 Edward Musk (Kellys)

1892 Edward Musk (Kellys)

1896 Edward Musk (Kellys)


Cattle wade through a river in the foreground, with period buildings and a horse-drawn cart visible on the bank behind them.

Newnham Mill Pool,c1900. Jolly Millers, left, brewery late The Malting House on right. Mott’s cows are fording the river.

1903

The pub was demolished and replaced by another in mock Tudor style.


1904 Edward Musk (Kellys)

1913 Edward Musk (Spalding)

1916 Mrs S A Musk (Kellys)


A large stone mill and the timber-framed Jolly Millers pub stand beside a river, with cars parked in front of them.

Newnham Mill and Jolly Millers, 1970 (MoC99a/71)


1962

Jolly Millers


In the 1960s Peter and Hazel Cofield took on the management of the Jolly Millers from Peter’s parents.

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • Newnham Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Newnham Road

Red Cow, 40-42 High Street, Landbeach

The Old Plough, 40, West Street, Comberton

Black Horse, Rampton

26 Newnham Road, Mott’s Dairy

40 Newnham Road

Perse Almshouses, 1 – 6 Newnham Road

4 Newnham Terrace, Newnham Road

9 (5) Newnham Terrace, Newnham Road

Ashton House, Newnham Road

50 Newnham Road, Pratte’s Buildings

Newnham Mill

30 Newnham Road

Coach and Horses, 39 Newnham Road