Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Cheshunt College/ Masonic Hall, Bateman Street

History of the Masonic Hall Bateman Street

Pevsner notes (Cambridgeshire p.328): St Mary’s School faces all that was completed of Cheshunt College, the former theological college of the Congregationalists. 1913-14 by Morley Horder, in a very attractive, free neo-Tudor. E range with square central porch-tower and two symmetrical bay windows, projecting wings of different length, height and design. Pale brick with buff stone dressings. Now it is the provinical Grand Lodge of the Freemasons. Their w range is good matching work of 1997-9 by Freeland Rees Roberts.


Cheshunt College was the oldest of the Cambridge theological colleges. The college moved to Cambridge in 1906 and new buildings were erected at this site. It amalgamated with Westminster College in 1967.


The site was then sold to the Freemasons. Information about the building and the history of Freemasonry at this site can be found here:

http://www.inul.org/index.php/about-us/history2

Tony Whitmore and his wife Edna lived in the Masonic Hall as managers in the 1990s after his building firm went into decline. In 2016 he described their duties there:


Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.