Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Peter­borough
  • /
  • Thorney
  • Back Forward
An 1886 Ordnance Survey map fragment showing fields and buildings at Single Cote Farm with plot numbers and elevation markers.

Singlesole (Single Cote) 1886 OS nr Thorney

Singlesole, nr Thorney

History of Singlesole

Listed Building:

Remains of cross about 350 yds east of Singlesole Farmhouse … Probably medieval. Stone base of cross, square with chamfered and moulded angles. Part of octagonal shaft remains, but head and top of shaft missing.

There was a hermitage at Singlesole circa 10th century. The estate held by Peterborough Abbey consisted of a manor, a chapel dedicated to St Michael with 7 stained glass windows, a bakehouse and brewery. Its most important feature was the fishery on the fen mere, Catteswater, which only survives as a small stream.

The grange was burnt during the Civil War because it was the home of the ardent royalist, William Hake.

The current building was rebuilt after the Civil War and there is no trace of the monastic building except for a stone cross, 50 from the road.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • Religious House

Projects

  • Thorney

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Thorney

Caxton Cottage, Lower End, Swaffham Prior

37 Church Street, The Chequers, The Duke of Wellington, Wellington House, Ickleton

29 High Street, Balsham

Thorney Toll, (Boarden House Toll), Thorney

Rose and Crown, Thorney

126 Wisbech Road, Thorney

Lodge Farm, Thorney

Church Street, Thorney

Thorney Abbey & Abbey House & Church of St Mary and St Botolph

Abbey Place, Thorney