Search by topic
Search by text
History of Fenner's
Francis Phillips Fenner founded the University of Cambridge cricket ground on land he leased in 1848.
See Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenner%27s
The Caius College Building Estate in Barnwell – Jeremy Lander:
The remainder of Middle Field, west of the Jesus College land, was owned by Caius College and leased out on a yearly basis to various tenants. One such tenant was Fenner who held part of lot 4 and lot 5 and sub-let the ground to the University Cricket and Athletic Club as a sports field. Fenner was given notice to quit the land at Christmas 1867 and in 1873 the land was re-leased to the University Cricket Club for 21 years.
In 1892 the College agreed to sell the freehold of the land to the University Cricket Club for £12,000 on condition that ‘the land be secured as an open space for ever.’