Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
135 High Street, Cottenham

135 (111) High Street, Three Horse Shoes, Cottenham

History of 135 High Street

Listed building

House formerly Three Horseshoes P.H., late C17 with assembly room extension of c.1873. Timber framed, roughcast rendered on brick plinth with steeply pitched tiled roof and ridge stack, rebuilt in C19 on site of original. Three bay lobby entry plan with service range at the rear.

Coach-house and stables. Stone dated 1873 and with three horseshoes to gable end. Gault brick with tiled roofs. Three bay open sided cart and coach-house with stabling and hay lofts to right hand. Included for group value.

…………..

See Francis Garrett, Cottenham’s Inn and Hostelries

This was built probably after the fire of 1676; one of the earliest of the licensed houses in Cottenham.

1755: John Bartingale

1776: Elizabeth Bartingale

1779: Moore family

For most of the 19th century the house belonged to the Ivatts of Gothic House. They built the large brick and slated malting of 12 Quarter Steep in 1835 at the rear where malting was carried on until 1894.

Calf sales were held at the Three Horseshoes.

………….

1841:

James Moore, 42, publican

Elizabeth, 35

John, 15

Elizabeth, 9

William, 3

……….

1851:

Elizabeth Moore, 45, farmer and innkeeper employing one labourer

………..

1861: Three Horseshoes Inn

Elizabeth Moore, 54, farm 40 acres employing 1 labourer, b Cottenham

………….

1871: Three Horse Shoes

Elizabeth Moore, 63, victualler, b Cottenham

…………..

1879:

Joshua Baker

……………

1881: Three Horse Shoes

William Moore, 34, farmer and publican 37 acres, b Cottenham

………….

1891: Three Horseshoes

William Moore, 44, farmer and publican, b Cottenham

…………

1894:

F Moon

…………

1896:

John Sanderson

………….

1901:

Frederick Smith, 40, publican, b Chatteris

………….

1911:

John Sanderson, 58, market gardener and publican, b Cottenham

………..

1921:

Herbert White

……….

1937:

Reg Palmer – came from the Hopbind

………….

1939: (111) Three Horse Shoes

Reginald V Palmer, b 1900, licensed publican

…………

1967: closed and sold

…………

Modern: (135)

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.