Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

147 (119) High Street, King’s Head, Cottenham

History of the Kings Head

1848:

See Francis Garrett, Cottenham Ablaze:

28.12.1848: fire was detected at a barn at the pub. Despite the fire engine, flames spread to William Norman’s stack-yard, the cottage of Joseph Thulbourn and then Mr Bennett’s house. Mr Chiver’s house, the King’s Head, was also consumed.

There was an inquisition chaired by the Rector at the White Horse. At the March 1849 Assizes, Lydia Skinner (servant to Chivers) said that a Jonathan Nunn had been refused any more beer after getting very tipsy following the Ploughing Match in November. Comments Nunn had made were considered to incriminate him and he was sentenced to Transportation for life.

……………

1850:

11.11.1850: fire was seen in William Hines barn next to the King’s Head (which had been rebuilt after the 1848 fire.) The fire was thought to be the work of an arsonist. After this event a meeting was held at which it was decided to divide the parish into districts with night-watchmen to spot fires.

……………

1881: Kings Head

Handel Porter, 26, publican and ag.lab., b Cottenham

Susan, 30, b Cottenham

Henry John Moore, stepson, 12, page boy, b Cottenham

Caroline Moore, step daughter, 6, b Cottenham

Frederick Porter, son, 3, b Cottenham

Gertrude A, daughter, 1, b Cottenham

Eliza Towler, 52, monthly nurse, b Cottenham

George Watson, boarder, 32, ag.lab., b Oakington

………….

1891: King’s Head Tavern

Handel Porter, 36, publican and ag.lab.

Susan

Henry John Moore, ag.lab.

Caroline Moore

Fredrick Porter

Gertrude Alice

Lily, 4,

George Watson, lodger, 47, ag.lab., b Cottenham

………..

1901:

Harry Morgan, 49, publican, b Suffolk

………..

1911: King’s Head

John Webb, 30, publican, b Northants

………..

1939:

Alfred Rogers, b 1898, news agent and general dealer (special constable)

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.