Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
190 High Street, Cottenham

190 High Street (112), Ablett’s House, Cottenham

History of 190 High Street

1849:

See Francis Garrett, Cottenham Ablaze:

8.5.1849: A fire devastated the High Street from the modern Fire Station site to Ablett’s House, near the location of the old fire station. 5 houses, four farms and three shops were destroyed.

The fire was first noticed on the premises of John Cross and the Cottenham fire engine arrived. Mr Cross’s property was destroyed; the fire then destroyed all the buildings of Mr Wayman the grocer.

Next were the buildings of Mr Pauley and then of John Male. Next, Mr Kimpton, cooper and measure maker.

Finally, Mr Pinchard of Ablett’s House lost his building including a schoolroom used by Miss Henrietta Finch.

The crew of the Willingham fire engine were so insulted by criticism of the state of the pipes of their fire engine that they offered to fight twenty of the best men of Cottenham; one of them produced a pistol.

Two men were arrested on suspicion of starting the fire but were released because of lack of evidence.

………..

1851:

Benjamin Pinchard, 50, general practitioner, b Beds

………….

1861:

Benjamin Pinchard, 60, MD Aberdeen, b Bedford

……………

1871: approx.

Thomas Chivers, 37, farmer 162 acres employing 4 men and 2 boys, b Cottenham

……………

1881:

Josiah Ward, farmer of 12 acres

……………

1891:

Josiah Ward, 49, farmer

……………

1901:

Josiah Ward, 59, farmer, b Cottenham

……………..

1911: Ablett’s House

Sidney Gautrey, 38, fruit grower, b Cottenham

……………….

1939: (112)

Ann E Collins, b 1859

Leonard H Gautrey, b 1901, assisting father mixed farming (Air Raid Warden)

………………..

Modern: (190)

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.