Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
The Chequers, Cottenham

The Chequers, 297 High Street, Cottenham

History of the Chequers

Listed building:

Public house, probably early C18

…………

See Francis Garrett: Cottenham’s Inns and Hostelries

1729:

Martha Morling, who owned a cottage here, was granted a liquor licence

…………..

1753:

Thomas Clarke

…………

1768:

Record of Robert Kimpton, blacksmith, assaulting Robert Stukings at the Chequer public house.

…………

1781:

Burial of Elizabeth Clarke of ‘ye Checker’. John Chapman licensee.

……….

1812:

Elizabeth Chapman licensee

………..

1816: property acquired by Steward Cotton brewers of Cambridge and later they built the present premises.

…………

1820:

John Pamplin licensee

…………

1824:

John Christmas

………..

1837: premises sold to John Christmas for £1,071. Described as: recently erected house, consisting of parlour, tap room, club room, bar, 5 bedchambers, good cellar and back kitchen, large yard with barn, stable and  pump of good water and garden.

………….

1841:

John Christmas, 47, farmer

…………

1851:

John Christmas, 56, farm of 56 acres innkeeper employing 2 labourers

……….

1861:

John Christmas, 69, inn keeper farmer of 70 acres employing 2 men 1 boy, b Horningsea

……….

1863: John Christmas died. His son Edmund ran the house and brewery until 1883.

………..

1871:

Sarah Christmas, 73, innkeeper, b Cottenham

………….

1878:

See Francis Garrett, Cottenham Ablaze:

8.3.1878: one house and four farms were destroyed on the site of the Chequers Inn, the rear of Mr Gawthrop (butcher) and on the opposite side of Denmark Road.

Buildings of Young Rose (butcher) were destroyed and then, on the other side of Denmark Road, the barn of Jonathan Piggott. The house of James Chapman caught fire and the farm of William Moore was destroyed.

The fire was assumed to have been caused by an arsonist.

……………..

1881:

Edmund Christmas, 49, innkeeper, b Cottenham

Hannah, 38, sister, b Cottenham

Emma Rogers, servant, 15, b Norfolk

………….

1891:

Norris William Vialls, head, 30, bricklayer and publican, b Cambridge

Bertha, 33, b Cottenham

Arthur, 5, b Cottenham

Percy, 4, b Cottenham

Albert 1, b Cottenham

Frederick John Vialls, lodger, 28, ag.lab., b Cambridge

…………..

1901:

Norris W Vialls, 40, bricklayer

Bertha

Arthur W

Percy

Albert

Aubrey, 9, b Cottenham

Walter Ely became licensee in 1901

…………..

1904:

James Peck licensee

………….

1912:

Albert Furbank licensee

………….

1926:

Harry Morgan licensee

……………

1939:

George H Morgan, b 1917, water company clerk (Cambs Water Co ARP)

………………

1948:

Donald Norman licensee

……………..

1953:

Victor Carpenter licensee

…………….

1980:

Peter Barnes licensee

…………….

1988:

David Wallace licensee

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.