Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Dry Drayton
  • Back Forward

Five Bells, Dry Drayton

History of the Five Bells

An 1886 Ordnance Survey map fragment shows a crossroads in Dry Drayton, with the Five Bells public house marked in a corner.

Five Bells, Dry Drayton, OS 1886

The Five Bells was a beer house where the Oakington Road met the Huntingdon turnpike.

1876 John Underwood

It closed its doors in 1912 after 70 years. Alfred Parcell was the last landlord. Alfred was also a horse dealer and created a haulage business. Mrs Parcell would often take charge in the tap room. Mr Parcell was killed in 1916 when a horse bolted at Oakington station upsetting a cart of granite.

The road from the Five Bells to the village was constructed by local men using gravel in 1776. (See Gallows  Piece to Bee Garden p.99)

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • Dry Drayton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Dry Drayton

Three Fishes, 7 East Delph, Whittlesey

Golden Lion Hotel, Market Hill, St Ives

The Holmes, 1 Northfield Road, Soham

Victory Terrace, Dry Drayton

Crafts Hill Farm, Dry Drayton

The Spinney, Pettits Lane, Dry Drayton

View Farmhouse, Dry Drayton

Pump, Dry Drayton

Scotland Farm, Dry Drayton

32, Hill Cottage, Pettit’s Lane

Park View, Dry Drayton

Three Horseshoes, Dry Drayton

Dry Drayton school