Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • East Hatley
  • Back Forward
A grey-toned photograph of a stone church with a pointed entrance, surrounded by trees and a metal fence in a churchyard.

St Denys’ Church, East Hatley c.1910 (Cambridgeshire Collection)

St Denys’ Church, East Hatley

History of St Denys

Listed Building

Former parish church, now redundant. C13 nave and chancel mostly rebuilt 1874 by W Butterfield. (Historic England)

Ornate 17th-century stone cartouche with a coat of arms above a rectangular panel inscribed AN DOM 1673.

East Hatley church, cartouche 1673 (RCHM)

St Denys’ was rebuilt in 1874. By 1959 the church was considered unsafe and closed. The grave yard is still in use and the the church building has been designated a nature reserve for bats and owls. (Vanishing Cambridgeshire p.120)

Just how was St Denis’ saved?

Tags

  • church
  • Listed building
  • medieval

Projects

  • East Hatley

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

East Hatley

10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22 Grantchester Road, Trumpington

The Trees Cottage, 1 & 2 High Street, Abington Pigotts

The Homestead, Fen Drayton, Cambridge

The Old Fox, 25 Fox Street, Great Gransden

36 Cherry Hinton Road, (1)

Museum of Cambridge 2005 Press

Lincoln Cottages, 27 Belgrave Road, Cambridge

173 Huntingdon Road, Kapitza House

Cherrytree House, Gorefield Road,

Almhouses / Almshouses, 42 – 60 Church Street, Gamlingay

18 Gothic Street, Cambridge

5 (3) Benson Street

5 Barton Close