Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Elsworth
  • Back Forward
A row of dark, carved wooden church pews featuring decorative armrests and faces sculpted into the side panels.

Elsworth church, desk 16th cent (RCHM)

Holy Trinity, Elsworth

History of Holy Trinity Church

Listed Building

Parish church. Early C14 with C13 chancel arch and late medieval South porch. Roofs rebuilt in C16 and C17. Restoration 1876-7 and north aisle and part of north chancel wall rebuilt in 1891-2 by W.M. Fawcett.

Churchyard cross base

Under the altar is a vault built in the 1720s by the Holworthys where Matthew and his wife lie.

The rector of Elsworth (1946-1950) was Wilbert Awdry, author of the “Thomas the Tank Engine” books. The first stories were written in Elsworth rectory.

A square church tower with a clock above a stone war memorial featuring an angel statue in a grassy churchyard.

Holy Trinity Church, Elsworth (RGL2025)

A blue circular plaque is mounted on the dark timber-clad, thatched gable end of a building, crossed by overhead power lines.

Rev W Awdry memorial, Elsworth (RGL2025)

A blue commemorative circular plaque mounted on a rough stone wall honoring The Rev W Awdry with white lettering and a crest.

Rev W Awdry memorial, Elsworth (RG:L025)

An octagonal wooden pulpit with Gothic tracery panels stands on a slender pedestal base inside a stone church.

Elsworth church, pulpit, late medieval (RCHM)

A pointed stone-mullioned Gothic church window with diamond-patterned leaded glass set into a rough stone wall.

Elsworth, 14th cent. (RCHM)

A series of four stone arched recesses set into a church wall, featuring slender columns and decorative carved stonework.

Elsworth church, piscina and sedilia, early 14th cent. (RCHM)

Split-view interior of a church featuring a wooden reredos with inscribed panels beside stone arches and wooden pews.

Elsworth church, reredos installed 1745-1949 (RCHM)

Tags

  • church
  • Listed building
  • medieval

Projects

  • Elsworth

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Elsworth

41 Park Street

Caxton Post Office, 24 Ermine Street, Caxton

84 High Street, Sawston

11 Brook Street, Elsworth

Brown’s Farmhouse, 54 Boxworth Road, Elsworth

Lordship Farm, 11 Broad End, Elsworth

Stream, Elsworth

The Old Bakehouse, 2 Brook Street, Elsworth

Lordship Cottage, 1 Fardell’s Lane, Elsworth

Disbrowe Cottage, 28 & 30 Brook Street, Elsworth

Elsworth shop

6 Fardell’s Lane, Woodpecker Cottage, Elsworth

6A & 8, Brook Street, Elsworth