Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Grantchester
  • Back Forward

Henry Castree Hughes

Garner Cottages, Grantchester

History of Garner Cottages

Two small cottages. They appear on a map of 1795. In 1900 they were used by the occupants of Riversdale (Dr and Mrs Assheton) as a laundry and egg-hatchery for the doctor’s research into embryology. The cottages belonged to Kimg’s College.

1915 – 1920 occupied by squatters

1920 – 1976 rented then bought by Henry Castree Hughes

 

Projects

  • Grantchester

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Grantchester

Symonds Lane, Grantchester

Laburnum Cottages, 3, 5, 7, Coton Road, Grantchester

17 Broadway, Merton House, Grantchester

St Mary and St Andrew, High Street, Grantchester

Wright’s Farm, Cedar House, Coton Road, Grantchester

Grape House, 10 Coton Road, Grantchester

45 Mill Way, Orchard House, Grantchester

Red Lion Lane

Barn at Lacies Farm, Coton Road, Grantchester

Moated site at Manor Farm, Grantchester