Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Hauxton
  • Back Forward

Mare Way

History of Mare Way

Cyril Fox in Archaeology of the Cambridge Area describes this route in the chapter ‘ Possibly or Certainly Prehistoric Earthworks and Trackways.’ One part starts at Ermine Street and follows a ridge as far as Chapel Hill, Haslingfield. It goes with 700 yards of the site of the chapel of ‘Our Lady of White Hill.’

Black and white line drawing of a map showing the probable courses of the Icknield Way and Ashwell Street near Heydon Ditch.

Mare Way (from C.Fox 1923)

The second section commenced in the valley, at the crossing of the River Cam, from which a track led to the ford at Hauxton Mill. Little archaeology has been associated with the route except for a large number of finds from the Neolithic period onwards at Hauxton Mill.

Projects

  • Haslingfield
  • Hauxton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Hauxton

64 Barton Road, High House, Haslingfield

44 Church Street, (Daintry’s Inn, Carpenter’s Arms) Haslingfield

Peaveley House, Haslingfield

28 High Street, Wyont House (Waggon and Horses) Haslingfield

Brook Farmhouse, Barton Road, Haslingfield

Cantelupe Road, Haslingfield

Haslingfield data

47 High Street, Haslingfield

Norbrook, 15 New Road, Haslingfield

Porkers Lane, Haslingfield