Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Hinxton
  • Back Forward
A metal monumental brass set into stone shows a central knight in armor flanked by two women in long gowns with hands joined.

St Mary & St John, Hinxton

St Mary and St John, Hinxton

History of St Mary and St John

Listed Building

Parish Church. Chancel, nave and west tower c.1200, mid C14 south chapel, and chancel arch rebuilt. South porch later C14 and west tower rebuilt except for east wall. C15 south aisle between porch and south chapel built by bequest of Sir Thomas Skelton (d.1416), east wall of chancel rebuilt possibly late C17. C19 restorations. Walls of flint rubble with Barnack limestone and clunch dressings.

By 1092 there was a church in the village, originally owned by Picot, sheriff of Cambridge, but then given to Barnwell Priory.

There is a brass of Thomas Skelton in the church; by the early 15th century Hinxton was one large manor owned by Thomas.

1529 during incumbency of William Dyckonson there was a quarrel in the village over a well-worn short cut through the Vicarage garden.

1797-1805 Rev James Plumptre – saw to the vaccination of his parishioners. He came fromma highly literary family and advocated acting as a moral educator.

1805-1833 Rev Townley Clarkson

1833-1862 Rev Graham – a young couple turned up at church wanting to be married without a licence or having given notice to the vicar.

1865-1892 Rev Charles Forster. There was an attempted robbery from Rev Forster’s home in 1880. Charles Forster was the uncle of novelist E M Forster. Charles’s brother William married Miss Emily Nash of Hinxton Grange in 1877. Money from the Forster family was used to set up the Emily Forster memorial Fund which was used to reestablish Hinxton as a separate parish with a resident vicar; it had been united with Ickleton in 1930. However, this arrangement was unmanageable in the  long term and in 1987 Rev Richard Birt was admitted to all three parishes of Hinxton, Ickleton and Duxford.

1890 marriage of Rev Forster’s daughter Mabel to Sir Lennox Napier, Bart. (reported in parish magazine)

1892-1926 Rev Twells. He caned boys who didn’t raise their cap to him. he gave 5s to children on the occasion of their baptisms.

1948-1955 Rev Peter Weir – he provided children with lemonade and crisps if they weeded the churchyard. His car was destroyed by fire in 1952. As he needed it to serve both Hinxton and Ickleton parishes, within two months the combined parishes had raised £300 to buy a replacement, a 1936 Morris 10.

1968-1977 Revd Dunkin.

1987 Rev Richard Birt

A child walks along a road in front of thatched cottages and a stone church, with a Celtic cross visible on the right.

Hinxton church, circa 1960 (WK)

A large wooden church organ with pale pipes stands in a corner with a wooden bench and a small stool in front of it.

St Mary & St John, Hinxton

Two leaded stained-glass windows featuring a crown and a heraldic emblem set against a grid of clear diamond panes.

St Mary & St John, Hinxton

Stained glass window set in stone tracery, featuring a central figure in red, green, and yellow robes beneath intricate arches.

St Mary & St John, Hinxton

An ornately carved wooden pulpit with a tester canopy features a crucifix on the back panel and an embroidered white cloth.

St Mary & St John, Hinxton

A weathered square stone baptismal font with carved column details, topped by a dark wooden lid on a tiled church floor.

St Mary & St John, Hinxton

A hand-written table on paper listing the vicars of Hinxton church and the corresponding Bishops of Ely since 1374.

St Mary & St John, Hinxton

Tags

  • church
  • Church of England
  • Listed building
  • medieval

Projects

  • Hinxton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Hinxton

St Mary, Buckden

52, 54 & 56 Brinkley Road, Dullingham

Golden Ball Inn, Boxworth

Hinxton Mill

47 High Street, Hinxton

93 & 95 High Street, Hinxton

Hinxton School

125, 127 & 129 High Street, Hinxton

37 High Street, The Limes, Hinxton

Church Green, Hinxton

66 High Street, King William IV, William House, Hinxton

War Memorial, Hinxton

Lordship Farm, Hinxton