Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Histon
  • Back Forward

Youngman Avenue, Histon

History of John William Youngman

1871 John William Youngman is listed as grocer and chemist in the High Street. In 1870 he was also listed as a publican and brewer when he was reported in the Cambridge Chronicle as having broken his leg carrying a sack of malt and was taken to Addenbrookes Hospital.

1877 & 1896: He is the owner of a shop in the High Street.

1882 He is listed as the owner and occupier of the Jessamine Tavern. The whereabouts of the tavern are unknown.

1908 he died after having had a house built in Mill Lane known as Yorke Cottage.

Youngman Avenue is named after him.

(Information from ‘History of Inns and Public Houses of Histon and Impington’ 1990)

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • Histon

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Histon

149 (123) High Street, The Fountain, Cottenham

Red Lion Inn and village pump, Wicken

Royal Oak, Station Road, Ely

17 The Green, High Noon, Histon

Histon and Impington Data

Histon Baptist Church and Sunday School, Poplar Road

Histon Methodist Church

Barley Mow Inn, Histon

Pigs Lane / Glebe Road, Histon

Elizabeth Woodcock, papers and correspondence

Histon School

1 & 3 The Green, Grape Vine Villa, Histon

35 Orchard Road