Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Impington
  • Back Forward

The Chequers, Impington

History of the Chequers

1901 Ordnance Survey map detail showing buildings, field boundaries, and property names around Impington village.

OS 1901, Impington

(History of the Inns and Public Houses, Histon and Impington, 1990)

1765 William Gilbert granted a licnse. It was a brick abndn thatched building of three low rooms, cellar and three bedrooms.

1772 Mary Gilbert, possibly widow, became licensee

1778 Thomas Brand licensee

1806 part of the Pepys Estate, inherited by Rev John Pine Coffin.

1807 William Peyton licensee

1818 Sarah Peyton licensee. The property was as some point sold to the brewers Steward and Cotton of Trumpington Street.

1821 – 1822 John Pettit licensee

1822 – 1828 Thomas Dye licensee

1837 Steward and Cotton declared bankrupt and purchased by Nutter & Elliston

1842 Nutter and Elliston bankrupt


1851 Chequers Public House

William Bird, 48, publican employing 1 boy, b Milton

Charlotte, 44, b Hilton

Peter, 5, b Impington

In 1861 William Bird is a gardener living with his family on the High Street


1861 Chequers lane

Robert Mansfield, 48, publican and ag. lab., b Histon

Elizabeth, 47, b Willingham

John, 20, ag. lab., b Histon

William, 17, ag. lab., b Histon

Eliza, 14, b Histon

Emma, 10, b Histon

Elizabeth, 6, b Histon


1871 Chequers

Robert Mansfield, 57, publican and farmer of 13 acres employing 1 man and 1 boy, b Histon

Elizabeth, 56, b Willingham

James, widower, 35, coprolite digger, b Histon

Sarah, 22, b Histon

Elizabeth, 17, dressmaker, b Hiton

Naomi Emily Nash, 1, granddaughter, basket makers daughter, b Middlesex


1881

Robert Mansfield, 67, publican and farmer 12 acres employing 1 man, b Histon

Elizabeth, 66, b Willingham

Emma, 28, b Histon


1882 Robert Mansfield, Owner of Chequers

1896 Lacons bought freehold. William Pegg licensee

1904 Fred Norman, licensee

1912 Property sold to James Mowlam and delicensed.

Ethel James, granddaughter of James Mowlam, has added her memories to the account in ‘History of Inns and Public Houses …’

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • Impington

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Impington

82 East Road, Wheelwright’s Arms

Rose and Crown, Eaton Ford

The Peacock, 11 Church Street, Great Shelford

Rose and Crown, 2 Glebe Way, Impington

9, 11 & 13 Water Lane, Impington

Histon and Impington Data

15 Mowlam Close, Police Station, Impington

St Andrew Impington

Railway Vue (View), 163 Station Road, Impington

83 Station Road, Woodcock Cottage, Impington

Impington Mill

Impington Village College

Christmas’s Corner and Bridge, Impington