Hall house divided as two dwellings. Early C15 with C17 alterations and additions. Timber-framed and plaster rendered with some original pargetted panels in street elevation, and some exposed timber-frame.
The screen has been removed from the cross passage and is said to be in a house in Fulbourn. The crest of Adam the Chaundler of a pelican in her piety was removed c.1930 to the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology Cambridge. Plaster frieze in east cross wing of two children. One fire hook attached to east wall.
W.M. Palmer wrote in 1913 (Camb Chron):
This is a half timbered house standing next the Bell. …. In one of the bedrooms is a piece of plasterwork, two cherubs pulling what looks like a Christmas cracker….. The age of the house is puzzling. In 1465 it was the residence of Thomas Milsent at the Maypole. A century later it belonged to someone else. Yet is has the Millicent family device, the fleur de lys built into it. ….. This messuage was known as Chandler’s from Adam the Chandler who lived here in 1380. An earlier owner was John Cok, who also owned a meadow by the river called “Cuxstool Meadow” where they ducked the “militants” of the fourteenth century.
On the side of Chandler’s hang two massive firehooks which were used for pulling the thatch off burning buildings. Under the eaves of the red brick nearly opposite, formerly the “Race Horse” Inn, hang rings, which has been conjectured were originally intended for the insertion of the firehooks.
W M Palmer led a group around Linton in 1938.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.