Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Linton
  • Back Forward

Symonds House, 44 Symonds Lane

History of the Union Workhouse

Listed Building

Home for the aged, formerly the Union Workhouse. 1836, by Hallet and Newman of London; contractor, Woolacott of London. Stables converted for new tramps cells 1913 by Edwards and Walden.

The workhouse was built for 200 inmates at a cost of £3,823.11.3d, a revised and less ambitious scheme; the flints and some of the bricks were collected and made by paupers of the parish. The brick walls and gates were completed in May 1837. (Historic England)

Tags

  • Listed building
  • workhouse

Projects

  • Linton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Linton

1 & 3 Crown Street, St Ives

15, 16, & 17 The Green, Rampton

Lode War Memorial

The Crown Inn, 11 (18) High Street, Linton

28 Mill Lane, Mill Brook, Linton

1 & 5, The Old Bakery, Linton Road

Green Hill, (5) High Street, Linton

28a The Grip

8 Horn Lane, Linton

29 Cambridge Road, Woodville Cottage, Linton

6 Church Lane, Church Cottage, Linton

18 High Street, 1716 House, Linton

The Kyles, Long Lane, Linton